21 February 2006

baby frog update



This is a long time in coming, but here is a recent pic of one of the six Dendrobates froglets. Kinda blurry, I know. What can I say, my sister is not here to take the photo for me.

Right now, I am out of algae and fruit flies so they have been dining on flake fish food. To reduce risk of calcium absorption problems I have been increasing their broad spectrum lighting. Here is a picture of the set up where they are being raised.



As they begin to absorb their tails I am going to move them to a shallow tank where they can begin to feed on fruit flies. It looks like we are going to end up with 6 frogs. They are really cute at this stage and you can start to see the black spots on their backs.
The oldest tadpole is about 3 months old and the youngest is just over a month.

More later.....

5 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Doug Hoffman said...

Six froglets -- that's great!

I'll bring over some more flies ASAP. As for those other frogs, you'll have to ask sxKitten ;)

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Rae said...

Does anyone know how I can take a clear picture. I have a canon digital camera. I spin the dial around to try and use different modes but nothing ever lets me bring stuff into focus....aargh!

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Jona said...

Even without a close up, your frog still looks cute :o)

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Rae said...

Thanks Jona,
I will perfect my technique and get a good close up if it kills me!

And thanks for the fruit flies Doug, I moved the froglet in to a land/water enclosure so he can haul out on the rocks. Still waiting for him to eat fruit flies.

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger Marco80 said...

Hi,
Congrats for your blog, very nice!
Why don't you create a pet profile on www.pet-files.com ? You can publish photos, videos and a lot of info (my profile: http://www.pet-files.com/marco80/mescal). And you can create a slideshow with your photo that you can easily embed into this blog! Hope you appreciate the idea.

Happy Holidays,
- Marco

 

Post a Comment

<< Home